Hello from the world of Beyond the Pacific and happy 2019! Thanks for dropping in, whether as a returning friend or for the first time.
My name is Miriam Ratu, better known as Miri, face and author behind this hub called
Beyond the Pacific – a smart and savvy space sharing ideas one blog at a time.
Fundamentally, this hub is about sharing ideas on business, law and humanity on a serious note. Travel, love, fashion and lifestyle on a lighter note. We’re launching our own podcasting channel via SoundCloud from November 2018 and there’s also poetry from a unique point of view.
Unique in that there are many blogs out there but none from the perspective of a Pacific Islander businesswoman and lawyer-in-training like myself, who calls both Australia and Fiji home.
Australia has been home for 30+ years after my family and I moved to Melbourne from Fiji in 1987. My dad’s side is from Rukuruku, Tavua and mum is from Soa Village, Nakorotubu, Ra. So, being a Fiji-born Australian, the words Beyond the Pacific sum up my whole life in a sense.
For as long as I can remember since I was a teenager, I would convey my views,
feelings and ideologies about life through poems, short stories, songs and journals.
As time went on, and due to a growing trend of people asking for information or how-to advice on certain aspects of life, I thought it was time to gather all these answers under one umbrella through Beyond the Pacific.
I don’t claim to be a guru of any sort but became a blogger because,
above all else, I love the art of writing!
Beyond the Pacific logo
A little bit more about me is that I am currently:
- A Business Operations Manager on the Gold Coast.
- Studying Bachelor of Laws at Bond University.
- An emerging fashion designer for humanitarian causes.
- Establishing fashion label House of Ratu.
- A crazy cat lady with 2 adorable & fluffy Ragdoll cats, Cleo_&_Patra [see pics below].
- Happily married to an English gent.
- A proud step-mum to a creative and loving teenage girl who makes our house a home.
In my purpose-driven time, I:
- Serve as Secretary on the non-profit board of directors for ‘The Leniata Legacy‘.
- Actively contribute to the ‘Pacific Fashion Festival‘ committee.
- Am a current member of the ‘Pasifika Women’s Alliance‘.
- Advocate against domestic violence through the above non-profit organisations.
- Advocate against abuse on children.
If you have any questions or feedback, send them through here.
Feel free to subscribe to our mailing list for updates delivered straight to your inbox.
Come join me in going above and Beyond the Pacific!